Broad range of possible applications in research and training.
Kiyoshi Murata, Ph.D Professor
Norihisa Nitta, Ph.D
Shiga University of Medical Science
Applicable for both plain radiography and CT scanning.
Wide variety of uses in interpretation training, anatomical education, evaluation and assessment of devices and other research.
Accurate anatomy and high quality substitute materials
The phantom is an accurate life-size anatomical model of a human torso.
The thickness of the chest wall is based on measurement of clinical data.
The soft tissue substitute material and synthetic bones have x-ray absorption rates very close to those of human tissues.
The phantom provides life-like radiographs very close to actual clinical images. The three-dimensional structure allows both PA and LATERAL images to be obtained. The phantom bones and vessels show life-like contrast gradations on the image along with tube voltages.
Arms-abducted position of the torso suits the CT scanning. The pulmonary vessels are spatially traceable. Assessment of computer-aided detection systems is possible.
Skills, Training, and Application
- Radiography training
- Interpretation training
- Assessment of tube voltages, films and other devices
- CT scan training
- Interpretation training
- Assessment of computer-aided detection systems
Expand N1 "LUNGMAN" with optional components
Chest phantom N1 has high potential for the development of further application.
Optional chest plates to simulate a larger body type and X-ray absorption.
Differences in X-ray absorption depending on body volume can be observed.
Using 60mm thick plates, 30mm is added to the front and to the back of the N1 chest.
Components for Radioisotope
Image fusion experiment with CT & RI can be performed.
- 1 male chest torso
- Main body: synthetic bones are embedded
- Internal parts: separates into four parts
- Mediastinum: heart, trachea
- Pulmonary vessels (right and left)
- Abdomen (diaphragm) block: no internal structure
- 15 simulated tumors
- 3 varieties of Hounsfield number: approx -800, -630,+100
- 5 sizes for each type: diameters 3, 5, 8, 10, 12 mm
- Soft tissue: polyurethane (gravity 1.06)
- Synthetic bones: epoxy resin
- 43 x 40 x 48H cm, chest girth 94 cm
- weight: approx.18 kg
- 59 x 52 x 30 cm, 25 kg
- 41337-010 Chest plates for N1 (a set of anterior and posterior plates)
- 41337-020 Urethane foam lungs
- 41337-030 Liver RI container for N1
- 41337-040 Gallbladder RI container for N1
- 41337-050 Pulmonary nodule RI container for N1
- 41337-060 Mediastinum with left myocardium RI container for N1
Subsolid Nodules Phantom
Both mixed and pure GGO are provided in variety of sizes and HU numbers. Subsolid Nodules Phantom is a set of simulated lesions designed for study and training in Grand-Glass Opacity (GGO) detection and interpretation. Both mixed and pure GGO are provided in variety of sizes and HU numbers. The set also includes 3-D GGO modeled on clinical CT data. The simulated lesions can be attached to the pulmonary vessels of the Chest Phantom N-1 "LUNGMAN" or in the CT Lung Phantom.